Friday 30 September 2011

Food Friday- the best ever most perfect chocolate chip cookie

What's better on a chilly fall day then homemade chocolate chip cookies? Nothing- that's what.

For a few years I was on the hunt for the perfect chocolate chip cookie. You know the ones, flat, chewy, addictive, perfect. Nothing "cake-y", nothing crispy. Then after a good 2 years of trying endless recipes I FOUND IT. Or rather, I almost found it. It just needed to be a bit softer, have a slightly different sweetness, and have wonderful chocolate chunks instead of cheap-o chocolate chips. So I tweaked and Found perfection.

THEN.... allergies came into my life in the form of an adorable little Bravo. Who wanted chocolate chip cookies. So I tweaked again and came up with the perfect allergy cookie. It still uses wheat, but it's soy, egg, and dairy free. warning: both the normal cookies and the allergy cookies taste better when cold. I think they're the only chocolate chip cookies that aren't all that tasty when warm. But they're really only warm for like 12 seconds, so I'd rather they taste best when cold. Actually- they taste best the next day. And the allergy ones smell gross when cooking. Something about eggs makes cookies smell better. Who knew??? The allergy cookies are still really good but not quite as good as the regular ones.

So without further delay

The perfect chocolate chip (chunk) cookie
Non-allergy bits will be in parentheses.

1 1/2 cups lard or spectrum shortening or Crisco (don't use the butter flavoured one- it ruins the cookies.)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons egg replacer powder + 6 tablespoons rice milk (OR 3 eggs, beaten)
1 tablespoon vanilla or a bit more- I just dump and don't measure.
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 package of enjoy life chocolate chips or 3 cups of whatever choc chips *** for the non-allergy best ever choc chip cookies this is the most important part. Get three of the big dairy milk chocolate bars and chop up fairly finely instead of chocolate chips. Don't skimp on other bars or on plain baking chocolate. Trust me. They're so good!- YUM!****

Pre-heat oven to 350 and prepare cookie sheets (I love parchment paper- but do what you do)
Cream sugars and fat
add egg choice and vanilla and beat mixture
mix dry ingredients (but not the chocolate) and add to wet ingredients. Mix well. Add chocolate and stir. I usually end up using my hands.
Drop onto cookie sheet by teaspoon- they grow.
Bake 10-12 minutes *** this is super important. They will still look uncooked. If they look brown and like cooked cookies then when they cool they will be harder and will still taste good but like normal choc chip cookies and not the best ever ones. This is the most important part of the whole recipe- DON'T OVER BAKE****
cool on trays for a few minutes until they can be lifted by metal spatula onto wire racks. Let cool completely then store in air tight container. These stay great on the counter for a few days and freeze really well.
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen. Which in my house lasts all of 14 seconds.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...I'm totally making cookies tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum yum! I'm going to attempt to come up with a GF flour blend for these! - Did the original use butter? Even though we're dairy free, I have not, (and hopefully will not ever) have to give up butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nope- original used crisco. Butter would change the flavour, I think. It might work, but the cookies amde with crisco and dairymilks and eggs is seriously so good I wouldn't try to change it! Although if changing out the flour the butter might give it some extra flavour. Hmmm, maybe you'll have to make lots of cookies to try out the options. Yum! Oh- the original recipe was a third of this recipe. I trippled it and changed the sugar rations (I think for the third of the recipe it used 1 cup of sugar). 1 dozen cookies seemed like a waste to make, but if you're working on different flour blends that might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete