Saturday 1 October 2011

food friday- chocolate oreo cupcakes

So, I suck and I had already  posted this recipe but a week later I accidentally deleted it but I still want it on here. So I'll post it again, but without whatever smart and witty and clever and well-written banter it had before (I can pretend because it's now deleted out of existence). Lesson learned: don't try to change the title of the entry to make it more clear because then you push the wrong buttons and the whole thing disappears into the air.

Allergy Friendly Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Icing.
I made close to a billion of these last week for Alpha's fourth birthday party. Which turned out awesome.

Cupcakes:
4 1/2 cups flour
3 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup canola oil
3 cups rice milk (or water, or normal milk- whatever you use)
3 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons vanilla

Pre-heat oven to 350
mix dry ingredients together with a fork.
mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
add wet to dry and mix well with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes or until well blended
pour into prepared cupcake tins (or minis, or a 9 x 13 cake pan or 2 round cake pans)
***let sit for 5 minutes before putting in oven for the soda to activate***
bake for 25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. (1 hr for a 9x13 cake)
this recipe both halves and doubles easily and is very yummy. yields: about 30 large-ish cupcakes


Oreo cookie icing
4 cups icing sugar
1 cup shortening or lard or whatever. you could use butter, but shortening makes it taste more like oreos.
pinch of salt (cuts the sweetness a bit)
1/2 package of crushed oreos (I used my food processor so it would go through my piping bag)
1 1/2 -3 tablespoons of rice milk (or whatever milk or cream you want). Start with the smaller amount of milk and add until you have the right consistency.

These came out really well, that's the first time I tried to add oreos to the icing. I served with a mini Oreo on top (cute) and for the kids at the party I put a cupcake in the back of a cheap plastic dump truck. It looked great and the kids loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment