Thursday 29 September 2011

Thankful- for other moms who know they don't get it.

There are some moms who make me want to scream. Or run the other direction. Or throat punch them. Or seclude myself in my house and never ever leave just so I don't run into them or anyone like them ever again.

But then there are the other moms. The good other moms. Sometimes I click with them, sometimes I don't. But there are some moms who I am thankful for. With Bravo's allergies going into any public space is terrifying. And some moms make it worse.


Yesterday a mom at play group brought me to tears. Good tears. The "there is good in this world and I can't believe how kind you are" tears.
I always pack a separate snack for Bravo even though snack is provided. Yesterday the mom in charge of snack (I had only met her once before and we don't really get along) came up to me and clarified Bravos allergies and then pulled out of her pocket the label from the bread she used and she had brought a box of crackers she had seen me feed him from before just in case. She also packaged everything separately (fruit away from cheese and vegetables) and told me she used a clean knife and a sterilized cutting board for the fruit and it did not come in contact with any other product in her house.

I was floored. Her children do not have allergies, she knows no kids with severe food allergies, but she made sure Bravo was included and safe. She know she has no idea the fear of your child accidentally getting a trace of cheese on their fruit and then having a life threatening reaction. She knows she has no idea how hard and stressful it is to keep him safe. And she knows that despite all of my diligence and my preparing Bravo (don't EVER eat anything unless me or Daddy  say you can) that all of the adults involved have a responsibility to keep all kids safe, even those with allergies.

And for the moms that "get it" and for the moms who have never had to live this and know they don't "get it" but do their very very best to keep my sweet baby safe I am so very thankful. It's kindness like this that makes being Allergy Mom a little bit easier. And reminds me that it's OK to leave my house and It's OK to send Bravo into the world. Even if it does contain far too much cheese for my liking.

1 comment: