Friday 7 October 2011

Food Friday- best ham ever cooked

Matt hates ham. I love ham. We were at ham odds. But I always won because I cook and he doesn't, so if I want it I cook it. But I really prefer it that people eating my cooking actually LIKE it and don't just take their "thank-you portions". So I went on a ham recipe hunt. I know I know.... how hard is it to cook a ham???

But if you follow this then even ham haters may change their mind. Matt loves this ham, which is saying a lot. If my parents ever make ham now he just leans over and says oh so quietly "your ham is way better."

Plus- it's cooked in a crock pot which takes away so much of the hassle of cooking- like doing it during my every so precious triple threat nap time.

Crock Pot Ham Even Ham-Haters Will Like

5 lb-ish ham.**Not one of those little pretty pre-cooked hams. A real ham with the bone in. But don't forget to take the plastic thing off the end of the bone** try to not buy one so big it won't fit in your crock pot. Because then you have to cut chunks off and stuff it in the sides. Not that I've done that before.
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon mustard (I use grainy- but normal will do if you don't have it)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Score ham with a knife
Put it in your crock pot
Mix all the dark purple ingredients in a bowl
pour juice over ham
rub the sugar mixture over the ham with your hands
cover and cook on low for about 8 hours. Could be a bit more if you're out of the house and aren't home for 9.
yummy yummy yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Tried this tonight, and it was so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete