Saturday 22 October 2011

Food Friday a day late- ham leftovers

OK, so do you remember this ham recipe? I made it for supper last night and again was surprised by just how good it really is. Matt saw we were having ham and made a face. Then he tried a bite and remembered that it's actually really good! He even told me I could make it once a month. Thanks, Matt!

The downfall with ham (for some, but not me because I love love love ham) is that it leaves a lot of leftovers. And there's only so many ham sandwiches one can eat.
SOOOOO.

What To Do With Left Over Crock Pot Ham.
1. after you cook the ham there will be a pile of wonderful juices in the bottom of the crock pot. Don't throw it out!! After you cut up the ham and take all the meat off, throw the bone back into the crock pot and stick it in the fridge over night (bonus! less dishes to wash!)

2. the next day add a big tin of tomatoes, some chopped up carrots, some mushrooms, some diced onion (I prefer mine to be cooked first- but it doesn't matter), some water, half a bag of barley, some chopped celery, and whatever else you want to add. Like pepper or some extra grainy mustard. Important: don't add anything else with salt!! The first time I used some broth instead of water and the thing was so darn salty I almost died. The ham is salty enough so don't add anything else with salt. And don't add the chopped up left over ham yet. That part comes later. Otherwise all the hammy-ness is lost and it's just not as good.

3. there should be enough water/ liquid to make it look a little like soup. This will all absorb as the barley cooks and it will turn into a delicious ham stew type of dish. Freezes well so you can cook it and make a few meals to save for the "I just don't want to cook" days. Turn on crock pot on low for the day.

4. When you're about to server it add a bunch of chopped up leftover ham. and mix well. For the small people in my life I add in a bunch of frozen veggies to add veggies and to act as ice cubes.

yummy yummy yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment