Friday 25 January 2013

Food Friday.... It came to me in a dream

Fried Oatmeal
I woke up the other night from my terribly fragmented sleep (thank you, molars, teeth, croup, and a 2 yr old who discovered he doesn't have to stay in bed....) and the dream I was having was wonderful. I had cooked bars of oatmeal, all crispy and fried, and rolled in cinnamon sugar and in my dream we dipped them in apple sauce. I woke up thinking "ooooh. That sounds good!"

So. I made them. And they're every bit as good as I dreamt! excuse the crumby photos. My camera battery was dead so I used my ipod.


ingredients (scale down as needed):
4 cups oatmeal
8 cups water
pinch of salt
 
1/3 cup flour (optional- but it's crispier if you use it)
 
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon 
(Maybe. I forgot to measure this. more or less depending on how cinnamonny you like it)


1. put oatmeal, salt, and water into a pot. bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5-7 minutes stirring frequently until cooked.



2. Pour oatmeal into a 9x13 pan. If you make less oatmeal use a smaller pan. You don't want it too thin. Put in fridge and chill until cold and gelatinous.


3. remove from fridge, loosen edges with a rubber spatula, and plop onto a cutting board. cut into fingers. don't cut too wide or it's hard to brown all sides.

4. preheat griddle or frying pan, melt margarine or butter or oil on med-low heat. enough to melt the butter/ margarine, not enough to burn it. Roll cold oatmeal chunks in flour, then put in hot pan. brown on all sides cooking until golden and crispy.
 
 
5. Roll in cinnamon sugar coating all sides. Eat while warm and crispy. Yummy!!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment