Thursday 29 December 2011

our role as parents

This is a letter I want to write. It's geared to the people who say stupid things about sweet adorable people with allergies. Who think that their child's right to eat a Skippy sandwich overrides MY child's right to, you know, not die.

I had heard it said that when you become a mom, you become a mom to all the children in the world. And I never really got that, even when I became a mom. I mean, I wanted kids to be loved and cared for and healthy and stories of sick babies and neglected children and babies thrown in dumpsters made me terrible sad. Then I became Allergy Mom. And I suddenly got it. And here's what I got.

My child's health and safety and life is equal to YOUR child's life and health and safety. And that's equal to the kid's down the streets life. And that's as important as the random strange kid at school's life.

And my child's preferences and convenience is on par with your child's and every other kid's convenience.

And life is more important than convenience.

And it is MY job as a parent to ensure not only the safety and well-being of my child, but for all the kids I directly or indirectly come into contact with. Yup, that includes kids with health issues in grade 6 at the same school that my pre-schooler goes to. And if something that MY child does negatively impacted the health and well-being of that child who's name I don't even know, well then, as soon as it was brought to my attention I would do my best to change it. EVEN IF IT WAS A PAIN IN MY ASS. because your child's life is important to me. It's that simple.

So for all those mom's who seriously have an issue with not being able to bring peanut butter to school, or having to wash your hands when you come into the class room, or are annoyed because the teacher will ask your child to change their shirt if she shows up with breakfast on it, I really want you to just think. Step out of your self-centred, narrow-minded little world for just one second. Please. Imagine the pain and grief of rushing your child to the hospital repeatedly not knowing if they would survive because for some stupid reason their body decided that milk (or eggs, or nuts, or whatever) is poison. And then think how you would want YOUR child treated if they had some sort of issue. Would you want them segregated? Would you want them pointed and and griped about? Would you want other people to wish they would just go away so that their life was a bit more "convenient"? Just think. And then, you know, follow the golden rule. And get your head out of your arse and treat people with empathy and respect and care and concern.

That said- feel free to whine a bit at home. But NEVER EVER say in public or to an allergy parent or to anyone, really, that it's annoying. Because I guarantee you being allergy mom is MORE annoying.

And... for allergy parents with more than one child, we also live both sides. I am Allergy Mom and "mom of kids who can eat everything". And I have to find a way to balance Bravo's safety with Alpha's and Charlie's love of yogurt and milk and cheese and Eggo waffles and pizza. And you know what, it's possible. It requires safety precautions to be put in place and it require that you be diligent and careful. But if I can do it every. single. day., then you can do it for 6 hours in a day when your child shares an environment with mine.

Please, just think. And treat my child and all other allergy kids like the sweet wonderful little people that they are, not like an annoying thorn in your side. Please.

THE END.

2 comments: